Replacing windshields are more than just a dollars-and-cents decision. According to a leading windshield manufacturer, your windshield not only helps protect you and your car’s occupants from the elements, it also plays a major role in your safety.
Here are some important points to remember:
- The windshield is a key structural element of your car.
- Proper adhesive selection is critical to installation and structural integrity.
- Original equipment must meet federal safety standards.
- The visual quality of original equipment is first rate-not necessarily true for knock-off versions.
- Knock-off one may not provide the same level of UV light protection. This could lead to accelerated fading of your vehicle’s upholstery and interior surfaces.
Ask for an original equipment windshield and factory-quality adhesives/sealants, installed by AGRSS-certified professionals. Laws in some states require that your installer inform you when replacing your glass with a non-original part. Original equipment windshields fit best and maintain the structural integrity of your vehicle. This is critical in case of an accident.
Original equipment windshields typically have better optical quality. Distortion affects the way the driver sees the road-and other cars. Windshield wipers work the best with factory windshields which have designed-in curvatures. Knock-off windshields tend to have less curvature, which can result in flat spots where the wipers may skip or not clear the glass as effectively.
Knock-off ones sometimes are made with thinner glass that can allow more noise in, which is particularly irritating to owners of upscale automobiles who paid for, and expect, a quiet ride.
Also, an improperly installed windshield could pop loose when the passenger airbag deploys, potentially reducing its ability to protect the passenger.
So when that stone chip or crack shows up on your windshield, be sure to protect yourself, and all those who ride with you, by insisting on a brand-for-brand replacement windshield like Carlite branded windshields. It’s up to you to decide which kind of replacement windshield you want.
Have auto glass needs? Give us a call today at (720) 742-9222